The Norwegian strawberries are so sweet that they can taste jam without the usual amount of sugar. A little honey provides the sweet rounding, while the small nutritious chia seeds make the job as a thickening agent. Incredible good!
Chia seed is a good source of antioxidants, proteins, fiber, zinc, calcium and omega-3 fatty acids. Since the seeds swell in liquid, they also work well as a thickener in jams. Tastefully, they are so mild that any skepticism that strawberries get a cake can be written off.
Strictly speaking, you do not have to cook the berries. The chia seeds swell even in cold liquid. However, it is a good idea to give the berries a boil. And then it smells so good when strawberries are heated! Perhaps because it produces good memories of many childhood summer with large-scale jams at home on the kitchen counter?
This time there was the good Ina from Food on the table that put me on the track.
To four small ice cream strawberry ice cream jars you need:
- 2 baskets strawberries (about 1 kg)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons chia seed
This is what you do:
- Clean the strawberries and have them in a thick-bottomed boiler together with honey. Boil under stirring. Cook on low heat for a few minutes until the berries are soft. Share them in smaller pieces with a tree-life. If you want completely lump-free jams, you can moss the berries with a spellmixer.
- Remove the jam from the heat and stir the seeds. Leave for ten minutes until the jam is thickened. If necessary, adjust the amount of chia seed until you reach the desired thickness. Remember that the jam will thicken further upon cooling.
- Use a funnel to pour the jam onto hot sterilized glass. Fill the glass completely. The glasses are sterilized by having well-washed glass at 100 degrees for ten minutes in the oven. Do the same with the covers.
- Re-tighten the lid and place each glass up for 24 hours without moving the glass. Turn and keep cool.
Opened glass has limited shelf life (around a week, without having to pronounce for sure). It is therefore advisable to spread the jam on several small glasses rather than one large one.
Strawberries and honey are boiled up.